Documentation Students

Nathan Handler nhandler at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 28 03:49:17 UTC 2009

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 6:28 PM, Dougie Richardson
<dougierichardson at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Evening all.
>
> I think that the Students team should be an open team, we approve most
> people any way and even if they don't actually contribute the increase
> number of icons in people's bragging rights will draw us some
> attention. They have no commit access so is there any reason to have
> this as a moderated team?

Weren't we discussing creating a new contributors team on Launchpad?
If we are, is there really a need to have two open teams for people
interested in getting involved with documentation?

If we are going to have a students team, I think we should create a
mentoring program similar to [1]. New contributors would be matched up
with experienced documentation team members who share the same
interests. These mentors would then help educate the mentees about the
various reference material that is available, the different skills
involved with working with documentation, the procedures that the team
uses, and anything else that might be needed. The mentor would then be
able to help determine when the user is ready to begin contributing on
their own. Without some type of learning/mentoring program in place, I
think the team should be renamed to be a contributors team, or simply
removed.

Nathan

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Mentoring