request for review of Ubuntu 9.04 release announcement

Jim Campbell jwcampbell at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 22 01:12:59 UTC 2009

Hi Steve,

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 6:41 AM, Steve Langasek <
steve.langasek at canonical.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Here is a draft for the Ubuntu 9.04 email announcement:
>
>  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JauntyJackalope/ReleaseAnnouncement
>
> Please review and advise me of any problems.
>
> (Link checking optional - several of the referenced pages have yet to be
> updated for 9.04 final, no need to worry there)

I would like to make a suggestion about the X.Org server section on this
page [1]. I know that release notes are supposed to be more technical, but
that particular section seemed especially foreign to me.  I've modified it
to help things flow a bit more smoothly.

The current wording reads, "The -ati driver has received numerous fixes and
performance improvements. It now uses the EXA acceleration method by
default. 2D acceleration support for the newest R6xx/R7xx family of cards is
also available. 3D support is available up to R5xx cards for -ati. An
updated -fglrx proprietary driver is available for R6xx/R7xx users who need
3D support."

My proposed wording is, "The -ati driver now uses the EXA acceleration
method by default, resolving a number of rendering and display issues and
promising high performance on many ATI chipsets. 2D acceleration support is
available for the newest R6xx/R7xx family of cards, and 3D support is
available up to the R5xx family of cards.  An updated -fglrx proprietary
driver is also available for R6xx/R7xx users who need 3D support."

I hope this helps,

Jim

[1] http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/904overview