Request for review for .img file writing instructions

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 21 06:59:35 UTC 2009

Hi Emmet,

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 3:17 AM, Emmet Hikory <persia at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> I think to be consistent and most effective, this should be integrated
>> into this document:
>>
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick
>>
>> Does that make sense?
>
>    It does make some sense.  I've interleaved the approaches for .iso
> files and .img files between the Automatic and Manual sections, and
> included a note about checking the MD5SUMS (borrowed from
> BurningIsoHowto).  On the other hand, I'm unsure that such a general
> page is suitable as a landing page for users that are downloading a .img
> file, and just want a quick path to install: the instructions for
> converting a .iso file may be confusing.

Yes, it's true - the FromUSBStick page is currently a bit long and
could be confusing. I think that we could probably crack this issue by
creating two subpages as follows:

FromUSBStick/IsoFiles
FromUSBStick/ImgFiles

The parent page would have links to each and explain the difference.
That way, you get a direct landing page for Img file writing without
the confusion of trying to deal with both issues on the same page.

What do you think?

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org