Wiki Team Launchpad permissions (was Re: Proposal: Create product for each derivative's documentation)

Connor Imes rocket2dmn at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 20 21:35:55 UTC 2009

Emma Jane wrote:
> On Monday 20 April 2009 4:50:16 pm Connor Imes wrote:
>
>> Emma Jane wrote:
>>
>>> I don't like the ambiguity of "a number." Note that I moved the point
>>> about a number of small patches to the list of requirements for
>>> Contributors. What would make sense is to have a point under the "admin"
>>> area that says you need to have been a Contributing Member of the
>>> documentation team for a period of ___ time, and have accomplished all
>>> points under the list of Contributor activities
>>>

>>  * contributed a handful of significant patches over the course of a
>> development cycle (6 months), which demonstrate a good and clear writing
>> style to the satisfaction of the reviewer.
>>

> Nice! Although, I'm not sure how big your hands are compared to mine, so what
> about:
>
> * contributed more than three significant patches over the course of a
> development cycle (6 months), which demonstrated a good and clear writing
> style to the satisfaction of the reviewer.
>
> This means one significant patch every other month. That's not a lot but it is
> a minimum. Connor, if you think that makes sense, can you update the Wiki at:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/Organisation
>
> Thanks!!

Done.  If we must have a number, 3 is better than 1, though I would hate
to see people come and say, "I did three patches, how soon can I get
approved!"

I would like to see what Matthew thinks about this.  I think having the
6 month window in there will weed out most "transients" so we can focus
on those who are serious about contributing to docs.
> Ultimately I think the document needs to reflect the fact that administrator
> rights are handed out when you get to the point that it would be more efficient
> for you to submit your own work rather than pester other admins each time you
> want to make a change. It's not about a badge of honour, it's being the lackey
> that gets to do the final approval and uploads. ;) At this point it still reads
> as "administrator" being a badge to strive for. I'm not sure that's true
> though
+1

-Connor