Wiki Team Launchpad permissions (was Re: Proposal: Create product for each derivative's documentation)

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 9 11:54:37 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 12:48 PM, Nathan Handler <nhandler at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Phil Bull <philbull at gmail.com> wrote:
>> In that case, do we really need a separate wiki team? I can see the
>> advantage of having a separate wiki-admin team, but having a distinction
>> between contributors to the wiki and the regular documentation doesn't
>> really serve any purpose, especially since we all use the same mailing
>> list.
>
> I disagree. The wiki and the system documentation require different
> skills and knowledge in order to correctly maintain them. For
> instance, someone who edits the wiki could have no idea how to work
> with the xml files used in the system documentation. I would feel very
> uncomfortable granting them the ability to push to the main branch
> without having their knowledge of the system documentation evaluated
> first.

I think Phil isn't proposing to open ~ubuntu-core-doc or the suggested
~ubuntu-wiki-admin to all users. However I see his point that if we
are to have an open team (such as ~ubuntu-wiki) for people interested
in working on the wiki, then we might as well have an open team for
people interested in working on any type of docs.

If so, that would result in something like this:

~ubuntu-doc (umbrella team)
    - ~ubuntu-core-doc (restricted team)
    - ~ubuntu-wiki-admin (restricted team)
    - ~ubuntu-doc-enthusiasts (open team)

The latter would potentially replace both ubuntu-doc-students and
ubuntu-wiki. There is probably a better name for it than
ubuntu-doc-enthusiasts, it could easily be something like
ubuntu-doc-contributors or similar.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org