Why not enabling APT links in the Documentation??? (bis)

yann_ubuntu-1 at yahoo.fr yann_ubuntu-1 at yahoo.fr
Tue Apr 7 08:02:24 UTC 2009

Hi Dougie, thanks for your answer.

i don't think it is a halfway solution, but a 95%-way solution, as:
- it gives to the user a way to install one or several packages in 2 clicks.
- it educates the user by giving the link to all methods to install a package
- it is neutral: one can choose to use command line or graphical method or APT link
- it is very concise (simplicity and efficiency of the Documentation)
- it avoids omissions (e.g. currently some pages only talk about Synaptic... what about Kubuntu users?)
- it avoids repetitions (and saves Documentation contributor's time) by centralizing all methods in 1 page.

The only difference with the direct APT link is that it requires 2 clicks while the direct APT link just requires 1.

..and i think it is urgent as i clearly see the difference of efficiency with the French Documentation :)

I made another example: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Thunderbird#Installation

Regards,
Yann