Server Guide Proposal (LAMP/Tomcat/Scripting Languages)

Marc Kaplan ubuntu-doc at technomensch.net
Thu Sep 25 03:03:40 UTC 2008

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/serverguide/C/index.html

***********
LAMP Server
***********
Currently, there is an outdated and very lengthy document regarding
building a LAMP server:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ApacheMySQLPHP?action=show&redirect=LAMP

This can be especially confusing when it addresses both PHP4 and PHP5
versions.

I recommend to the Server Guide team that we compare this information with
the documents listed within the Server Guide and combine/tag for deletion
accordingly.

This also includes, but not limited to:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ApacheHTTPserver
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HelpOnConfiguration/IntegratingWithApache
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HelpOnInstalling/ApacheOnLinux
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HelpOnInstalling/ApacheOnLinuxFtp

***********
Tomcat5
***********
I also recommend that we add this Tomcat article under the "Web Server"
section.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ApacheTomcat5

***********
Programming/Scripting Languages
***********
Instead of having PHP5 under Webserver, perhaps set aside a separate
section for Scripting Languages:

PHP5 - Scripting Language

Within this Programming section, we could then put the definitive
documentation on installing the JDK/JRE, how to check which versions are
installed, how to set the JAVA_HOME, etc.....

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/JavaInstallation

(I know it can be hard to keep up with current Java versions, but this
would at least give us a basic foundation to work from)

That, of course, would be connected to the Tomcat documentation.

Thoughts?  Comments?  Suggestions?

I've never used Launchpad so I do not know whether this would be something
added/assigned through there, and if so, how.

Marc K.