Hello everyone!

Charles Davis charles.davis at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 16 13:33:20 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 19:49 +0100, Phil Bull wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>
> On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 21:43 +0100, Matthew East wrote:
> > >      * Users who've just switched to Ubuntu and don't know where
> > >        anything is (possible solution: brief desktop tour)
> > >      * Users who've just switched and are having problems with
> > >        something (with a particular focus on hardware issues)
> [...]
> > I think that both of these use cases are two of the most obvious
> > situations that our help centre is supposed to help with! If we're not
> > helping those people, then we're not doing a great job with the help
> > centre... Have you got some ideas about what those users aren't
> > getting from our help centre?

Beside the "what do I do now" syndrome, setting up the compiz cube and
the issue of wireless cards and ndiswrapper seem to be a common theme.
> I think that our failing on the first point is that new users aren't
> pointed directly at relevant documentation when they first log in. If a
> user doesn't know where anything is, we should make it as easy/obvious
> as possible for them to access the introductory information. As it is,
> they need to figure out how to open the Help Centre and click two links
> to get to "An overview of your desktop and how to use it", which isn't
> that instructive anyway. This is part of a wider issue of getting people
> to use the built-in docs.

I have no real answers for this part I'll continue to mull over the
subject and reply if I get an epiphany :)

> With the second point, I think that software to do the heavy lifting of
> troubleshooting would be more user-friendly than text describing how to
> troubleshoot hardware problems manually. It would certainly solve the
> user's problem quicker.

+1 Ideally a troubleshooter application would be the way to go, but
thats beyond our scope as the keepers of the docs

--
Chuck
charles.davis at ubuntu.com
OpenPGP Key ID:1024D/19B4CF71
Fingerprint: 0D29 4D49 AE37 48A6 2EC8 0746 11DA EF8B 19B4 CF71