Hardware Support

Phil Bull philbull at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 18:50:52 UTC 2008

Hi Marc,

On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 20:40 -0400, Marc Kaplan wrote:
> I was attempting to fix the WiFiDocs a few months ago, but I realized it
> was too big of a project for one person.  The Hardware definitely is in
> its own world, as is the software....But one thing at a time.
>
> I took a look at that site, http://www.ubuntuhcl.org/
>
> It's very nice site, and it covers, like you said, "does it work or
> not", which is pretty much what people want.

I think the issue of what people want from a hardware database could
stand further research. I'm yet to see an implementation that really
hits the spot, and I suspect the reason is that people have been
implementing data collection first and worrying about the user interface
later...

> I also completely agree that we should some how incorporate the QA/Dev
> team, but I'm not sure how....yet.
>
> I think we should first brainstorm with a database idea, kinda similar
> to that site and how we want to implement it.
>
> Who on the Docs Team normally serves as "Ambassador" between Docs and
> the rest of the world of Ubuntu?
>
> Do we need a "meeting of the minds"??

They're pretty friendly, so it doesn't really matter who gets in touch.
The first order of business should be to find out if someone is already
working on something similar, though. I've seen a few blueprints
floating around, but I don't know whether they're current.

Thanks,

Phil

--
Phil Bull