WikiGuide/PageDiscussion/Draft comments/suggestions

Marc Kaplan ubuntu-doc at technomensch.net
Wed Sep 10 09:58:03 UTC 2008

Looking at both points back-to-back like this, I think, unfortunately,
just like even Wikipedia, it's not a matter of standard preferences, but
of usage and necessity.  With the number of people working on this, and
the number of documents involved, it would be impossible to develop a
full standard.  I can see how it would be up to the creator of the
article to use "some" common sense while still trying to follow a
standard of some level.

Example,

In the official docs that you reference, it really would make no sense
to use the full URL because of how lengthy it is.

[[URL|Music and audio]]  would look like
[[/8.04/musicvideophotos/C/index.html]]

That would make absolutely no sense to the user and doesn't tell them at
all what the page is really about.  In fact, I have yet to find any
where in the documents as to how that URL was developed (I haven't
worked on any of the official docs or bug fixes yet either).

BUT....in the community docs, the article titles are a bit more generic,
not platform/version based within the URL, like Wikipedia.  Therefore
there is a bit more latitude to work with:

* [[DrivesAndPartitions|Drives and Partitions]]

This may sound like nit-picking, but the main issue that I was
originally bringing up is, like Phil says, that links should *always* be
renamed in human-readable format *with spaces* and have the "/" removed
to look cleaner and that it should state that somewhere.  IMHO, at no
time should "/" appear within a link visible to the reader/user.

(*I* personally couldn't find it anywhere, but it might be somewhere
that I missed)

But now you bring up another point that I had not considered.  If
necessary, the link should be explanatory/descriptive, rather than just
cleaner and human readable.  What I mean by this is, instead of
[[CreatePages | Create Pages]], there are at least 2 other ways this can
be written:

[[CreatePages | How to create new pages]] or [[CreatePages | Creating
new pages]]

Is this really something we can standardize into specific rules or
should we leave it up to the author's discretion/common sense?

I guess it would really depends on how explanatory/descriptive and
obvious the actual article title is to the reader/user.  If the title is
descriptive enough, *or renamed in link context to be descriptive
enough*, it really shouldn't need the extra explanatory text.  A general
rule that I have always gone by is: "The less text users have to read
for a link, and the more obvious it is, the faster it will be for them
to find the information they are looking for."

Marc K.