WikiGuide/PageDiscussion/Draft comments/suggestions

Allan Day allanpday at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 08:34:04 UTC 2008

> Links should always be formatted in the way that makes the most sense to
> a reader. Ninety-nine times out of a hundred, this involves using the
> [[/some/link | human-readable text]] format. Using wiki-style links only
> makes things easier for the writer, not the reader.

That makes a lot of sense.

One other issue is how we format lists of links. Here, there's a
disparity between how links tend to be done on the community wiki, and
how they're done in the official docs.

On the community wiki, the format <bullet> <link> - <explanation> is
common. For example:

 * [[DrivesAndPartitions|Drives and Partitions]] - Adding storage, partitioning, accessing your Windows files, and more.
 * [[PortableDevices|Portable Gadgets]] - Syncing and transferring files from PDAs, audio players, mobile phones, and cameras.
 * [[InputDevices|Input Devices]] - Setting up your keyboard, mouse, and other input devices.

On the official docs, links have neither bullets nor explanatory text.
Lists of links are structured using indentation and numbers, if they are
necessary. Something like this [1]:

[[URL|Music and audio]]
 . [[URL|Play and organize music]]
 . [[URL|Playing audio CDs]]
 . [[URL|Ripping audio CDs]]

Official doc link text tends to be in the present continuous (I think -
grammar was never my strong point!), whereas community wiki links tend
to be nouns. As a result, the latter tend to be a bit shorter.

Generally, I prefer the official docs approach, though I'm unsure about
whether it would be practical to introduce that strategy to the
community wiki. In the past, I've often thought that the use of bullets
in these kinds of lists is a bit overkill - aesthetically, the pages end
up looking quite heavy. Does anyone else have any thoughts on the matter?

Allan

[1] From: https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/musicvideophotos/C/index.html