WikiGuide/PageDiscussion/Draft comments/suggestions

Marc Kaplan ubuntu-doc at technomensch.net
Wed Sep 10 00:54:01 UTC 2008

Allen and I have been having an ongoing discussion and we agreed we
should open it for discussion within the mailing list.

Throughout the Community Wiki, we have a wide range of the way links to
other articles appear.  The two that has been prevalent are:

Writing the links outright:

    *

      /PageCreation
      <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WikiGuide/PageCreation> -
      Guidance on creating pages on this wiki.

    *

      /WritingGuide
      <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WikiGuide/WritingGuide> -
      Writing style and conventions that are encouraged on the wiki.

    *

      DocumentationTemplate
      <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DocumentationTemplate> -
      Recommended page structure.

etc....

and then there are the links where the link names have been cleaned up
to fit the text (the same links, cleaned up):

[[/PageCreation | Creating pages]]
[[/WritingGuide | Writing guide]]
. Writing style and conventions contributors are encouraged to follow
[[DocumentationTemplate | Page template]]
. Recommended page structure

If you note, the "|" is how the text will actually appear in the Wiki as
opposed to the link itself.

Notice how the second one is cleaner and easier to read/follow.

I know that for someone like me, using the actual links could get
confusing when it gets to sections like the WiFiDocs (which I understand
will change, but not for a while):

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported

   1. *WifiDocs/Device*/ADDON_ADD-GWP110
      <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Device/ADDON_ADD-GWP110>
   2. *WifiDocs/Device*/AR5006EG
      <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Device/AR5006EG>
   3. *WifiDocs/Device*/Acx111
      <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Device/Acx111>
   4. *WifiDocs/Device*/Airlink101_AWLL3026
      <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Device/Airlink101_AWLL3026>
   5. *WifiDocs/Device*/AirportExtreme
      <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Device/AirportExtreme>
   6. *WifiDocs/Device*/BT_Voyager_1055
      <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Device/BT_Voyager_1055>
   7. *WifiDocs/Device*/Belkin_F5D7050_ver_3000_(Ralink_rt73_driver)
      <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Device/Belkin_F5D7050_ver_3000_%28Ralink_rt73_driver%29>
   8. *WifiDocs/Device*/Belkin_F5D7050_ver_4000_(ZyDas_zd1211b_driver)
      <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Device/Belkin_F5D7050_ver_4000_%28ZyDas_zd1211b_driver%29>
   9. *WifiDocs/Device*/Belkin_F5D8010
      <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Device/Belkin_F5D8010>
  10. *WifiDocs/Device*/Broadcom_BCM4306
      <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Device/Broadcom_BCM4306>
  11. *WifiDocs/Device*/Broadcom_BCM4311_rev_01_(ndiswrapper)
      <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Device/Broadcom_BCM4311_rev_01_%28ndiswrapper%29>
  12. *WifiDocs/Device*/Broadcom_BCM4318
      <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Device/Broadcom_BCM4318>
  13. *WifiDocs/Device*/Broadcom_BCM4318_[AirForce_One_54g]
      <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Device/Broadcom_BCM4318_%5BAirForce_One_54g%5D>
  14. *WifiDocs/Device*/Broadcom_BCM4318_[AirForce_One_54g]_(Native_Driver)
      <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Device/Broadcom_BCM4318_%5BAirForce_One_54g%5D_%28Native_Driver%29>
  15. *WifiDocs/Device*/Broadcom_BCM43xx_(all,_ndiswrapper/firmware)
      <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Device/Broadcom_BCM43xx_%28all%2C_ndiswrapper/firmware%29>

Do these really need "WifiDocs/Device" if they are being linked to on a
page that bluntly states that these are WiFi Devices?

Also, if we decide to make this appearance of links a standard, I would
guess it would then need to be added to the WikiGuide.

Marc K.