{Discussion} Categories

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Mon Oct 13 07:21:39 UTC 2008

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 4:48 PM, Marc Kaplan
<ubuntu-doc at technomensch.net> wrote:
> Anyway, that is my thought process.  I recommend that the Documentation
> Team create a list of "official" categories and that the only way this
> list can be added to is with the approval of the team and that we
> specifically state this is a page that lists the categories..  However,
> users can add subcategories as needed.

I don't think there is any technical way to do this. Categories are
supposed to be more or less flexible so that users can create new
ones. However I agree with the basic premise of trying to simplify the
existing list of categories, which has grown far too much and contains
a lot of categories which aren't really useful.

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 11:42 PM, Little Girl <littlergirl at gmail.com> wrote:
> My suggestion is:
> 1. Get rid of most of the categories (yes, I know this is a lot of
> work, but I'm willing to help, and have already begun).
> 2. Keep things simple when naming categories.
> 3. Create broad categories with lots of pages in them.
> 4. Make sure to have a category for each of the most commonly
> searched for items.

This makes plenty of sense to me.

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 12:35 AM, Marc Kaplan

See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PageHits

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org