[Discussion] Software vs. Applications

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 02:12:17 UTC 2008

Hey there,

Connor Imes wrote:
> Little Girl wrote:

> > Neither is better. Application is just a technical way of saying
> > software. Since Ubuntu is for the whole world to use, you must
> > always keep in mind what the whole world will be looking for. And
> > since the whole world hasn't made up its mind which of the two
> > terms it prefers, you need both, or some people won't be able to
> > find what they're looking for.

> No, an application is generally a program which a user interacts
> with directly (nowdays, generally through a GUI).  Software covers
> essentially every piece of code in the system, including
> daemons/services, libraries, desktop and window managers, and
> applications that run in an environment.  The terms Software and
> Applications are often mixed up, but Apps are a more narrow focus -
> in this case, I think Applications was meant to be for apps found
> under the Applications menu in Gnome.

I can muddy the water even more by pasting the Webster definitions
for Application, Software and Program here:

====================
Application:
a program (as a word processor or a spreadsheet) that performs one of the major tasks for which a computer is used

Software:
something used or associated with and usu. contrasted with hardware: as a: the entire set of programs, procedures, and related documentation associated with a system and especially a computer system  ; specifically : computer programs

Program:
a sequence of coded instructions that can be inserted into a mechanism (as a computer)
====================

Ack! All three are commonly used/confused, so this is definitely
something to think about/chew on/worry over/figure out. (:

> > The best solution would be (if this is even possible) to have
> > duplicate pages - one with Applications in the title and one with
> > Software in the title. At the top of each page, make a note with a
> > link to the other page. Make one immutable and the other editable.
> > Make the immutable page refresh so that it reflects any changes
> > made to the editable one. At least that's how I'd do it if it were
> > possible. (:

> I disagree, we don't need duplicate pages on the wiki.  If two
> pages already exist, take the best one (or merge the content
> smoothly) and redirect the other page.  We don't need to go adding
> functionality to the system by having to create immutable pages
> that copy existing ones - that is why we have redirects.

> I think ultimately we should get rid of the Application references
> on the wiki.

No, no, your idea of redirecting is a brilliant solution! If you
decide to go with Software, then you can have very small (immutable?)
pages for Applications and Programs and have them redirect to the
Software page(s).

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.