Server Guide

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 26 08:23:38 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 3:34 AM, Adam Sommer <asommer70 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I wanted to get some feedback on the idea of separating the Server Guide bzr
> branch from the rest of the ubuntu-doc branch.  The original intent, during
> the Intrepid cycle, was to ease contribution to the guide by lowering the
> branch time.  I'm not sure the Server Guide needs to be separated any longer
> due to the fact that branching the docs takes significantly less time since
> the logs were reset for Intrepid.

Sorry for the delay in responding. I'm pretty against this change
myself. In terms of contributors, I think it's beneficial that the
serverguide can be found with other documents. At present it is built
from the same source package as ubutu-docs, and including in the
ubuntu-docs binary as well so that it appears in the desktop help
system. Lastly, it means that the documentation team can take care of
it more easily, instead of having to maintain an extra branch. It uses
all the same common files as our documents, and updating an additional
set of those would be a pain.

So far I haven't seen any reasoning in favour of the change. I think
the point about branch time is a red herring, because since the
intrepid cycle began, it's been quite quick to download the branch.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org