Searching help.ubuntu.com does not work anymore..

Marc Kaplan mk at technomensch.net
Mon Nov 17 18:11:56 UTC 2008

I happen to like the Google Search.  But one of the questions was
asking about a possible alternative Search tool for a locally hosted
service (let's say in a worst case scenerio, google goes down or stop
supporting the search API for sites).  As long as we have root access,
an alternative might be SphinxSearch:

http://www.sphinxsearch.com/

When personally implementing MediaWiki, everyone hated the built-in
search, but we couldn't use Google for other reasons.  We found Sphinx
Search and it's worked out nicely so far.  Couldn't hurt for the
admins to at least look into it as a backup.