Administrative Tasks

Dougie Richardson ddrichardson at btinternet.com
Thu May 1 13:14:27 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 19:59 -0600, TMulgrew at stpetes.org wrote:

> There are times when one is performing a number of administrative
> tasks and accessing a shell as root is desirable.
>
> Sudo is OK for single commands, but is awkward with pipes and
> redirecting output to system files, let alone more complex bash
> constructs.
>
> sudo -i is, IMHO, the best way to access a root shell and so, IMHO,
> the wiki should be left as is.

There seems to be a little confusion as to what I'm proposing is not to
change the Wiki or to remove the link to it but to remove the entry from
the help file.

> There are other ways, sudo su , sudo bash, sudo -s ...
>
> All these methods are superior to setting a root password. One can not
> admin w/o root access and Ubuntu was designed with the root account
> locked, to prevent root logins, not to restrict root access.
> Please consider this  perspective or advise what you feel may be a
> better way to access a root shell.

Again, I'm not proposing a change to the Wiki. For most users, the fact
that the password is remembered for 15 minutes is sufficient for most
administrative tasks.

Cheers,

--
Dougie Richardson (http://lynxworks.eu)

"Well, then, " the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry,
and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and
wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."