Administrative Tasks

TMulgrew at stpetes.org TMulgrew at stpetes.org
Thu May 1 01:59:05 UTC 2008

There are times when one is performing a number of administrative tasks
and accessing a shell as root is desirable.

Sudo is OK for single commands, but is awkward with pipes and redirecting
output to system files, let alone more complex bash constructs.

sudo -i is, IMHO, the best way to access a root shell and so, IMHO, the
wiki should be left as is.

There are other ways, sudo su , sudo bash, sudo -s ...

All these methods are superior to setting a root password. One can not
admin w/o root access and Ubuntu was designed with the root account
locked, to prevent root logins, not to restrict root access.

Please consider this  perspective or advise what you feel may be a better
way to access a root shell.

"Matthew East" <mdke at ubuntu.com>
Sent by: ubuntu-doc-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com
04/30/2008 08:12 AM

"Ubuntu Doc Team" <ubuntu-doc at lists.ubuntu.com>
cc

Subject
Re: Administrative Tasks

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Dougie Richardson
<ddrichardson at btinternet.com> wrote:
> The "Using sudo at the command line" section says: "To use a root
> terminal, type sudo -i at the command line.". Ubuntu was designed not to
> utilise the Root account by default and as this information is in the
> Wiki (linked to from the first page of this section) I think it should
> be removed.

That makes sense to me.

--
Matthew East