Proposal: Create product for each derivative's documentation

Cody A.W. Somerville cody-somerville at ubuntu.com
Sat Mar 29 17:01:49 UTC 2008

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 8:05 AM, Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 1:06 PM, Cody A.W. Somerville
> <cody-somerville at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > An acceptable and fair compromise would be to set a mailing list (I'd
> > recommend creating a new ubuntu-doc-bugs ml or something) as the e-mail
> > address for the ubuntu-core-doc team. This would result in the mail
> being
> > sent to the mailing list (allowing for easy filtering/sorting in gmail)
> > instead of each individual member.
>
> I've thought about this some more. I still don't agree - to set up
> another mailing list and to keep it synched with the members of the
> ubuntu-core-doc team would be more effort than it is worth simply to
> provide easier filtering of bugmail.

Actually, it isn't much effort and is worth it if you're interested in
maintaining healthy collaboration between derivatives. Launchpad now offers
mailing list for teams and if for some reason that isn't sufficient, the
infrastructure is obviously available for mailman since ubuntu-devel does
it. A number of teams offer mailing lists for bugs because the contract for
joining the team should not be that you're bombarded with irrelevant e-mail.

> For one, the number of people who
> will want to filter different types of bugmail into different folders
> I think is likely to be quite low. Secondly, if it isn't possible to
> filter Launchpad bugmail already easily, that's a bug either in
> Launchpad or your mail client.

I imagine it would be a bug in gmail. It doesn't look at the complete header
when filtering.