Proposal: Create product for each derivative's documentation

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 21 21:06:43 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 1:02 PM, Cody A.W. Somerville
<cody-somerville at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  Currently there is only the ubuntu-documentation product/project on
> launchpad which has the ubuntu documentation and its derivatives' bazaar
> branch associated with it. However, I'd like to propose that we create a
> product for each derivative's documentation since a the current model does
> not scale well attempting to have multiple products inside one product. An
> example would be that the current series for the ubuntu-documentation
> product are the different releases. The branch associated with each of these
> series is the ubuntu bazaar branch. Since there is no series associated with
> the xubuntu documentation bazaar branch, I can't link the xubuntu
> documentation package to the xubuntu documentation bazaar branch. Once we
> create each derivative's product for documentation, we could create what
> launchpad calls a "super-project/product" to link it all together again.

I've been thinking about this for a while. I'm pretty concerned with
the idea about creating too much divergence between the various
*buntu-docs projects. In particular, doing this would create extra bug
lists (for the new projects and another one for the super-project) and
I think we've already got too many: the bug lists for Ubuntu packages
and those for the separate Launchpad project.

I'm also concerned that this would lead to the various branches
getting further apart. I know that the current system doesn't fit
Launchpad perfectly, but I also think that's partly due to flaws in
Launchpad itself. I'm not convinced that opening separate projects
would be a better solution than the one we have now.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org