Proposal: Create product for each derivative's documentation

Cody A.W. Somerville cody-somerville at ubuntu.com
Sat Mar 22 19:46:41 UTC 2008

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 6:06 PM, Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hi,

<snip>

I've been thinking about this for a while. I'm pretty concerned with
> the idea about creating too much divergence between the various
> *buntu-docs projects. In particular, doing this would create extra bug
> lists (for the new projects and another one for the super-project) and
> I think we've already got too many: the bug lists for Ubuntu packages
> and those for the separate Launchpad project.

I actually see this as a benefit. I'm tired of getting bugmail for kubuntu
and ubuntu docs - they are _never_ relevant to me. And if one happens to be,
it should be discussed on the mailing list.

Furthermore, it is entirely possible to disable the bug reporting ability
for products.

I'm also concerned that this would lead to the various branches
> getting further apart. I know that the current system doesn't fit
> Launchpad perfectly, but I also think that's partly due to flaws in
> Launchpad itself. I'm not convinced that opening separate projects
> would be a better solution than the one we have now.

How would having separate products do this? They'll all still be listed on
the same page under the commit team as the commit team will retain ownership
of the branch.

> --
> Matthew East
> http://www.mdke.org
> gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF

You suggest several negative things will occur by following the correct
semantic of  having one product for one product. However, I fail to see by
which mechanism those negative things will occur.

Thanks,

Cody