Introduction and request to join the mentoring programme

Barry Sharpe barrysharpe at ntlworld.com
Thu Mar 13 20:44:08 UTC 2008

Hello all,

I come from a support based background, I  am involved in the support
of  Netware / Linux based systems. The last five years has seen me get
more involved in Linux, in this somewhat short time frame I have been
somewhat of a distribution jumper. I have tried all the major
distributions which includes Red Hat, SuSe (obviously), LFS, Slack etc.
The last year as in 12 months plus has seen me only use Ubuntu, its not
hard to say why, it has so far been the only distribution that has
suffered my constant attempts to get it to play nice when I wish to
install some obscure application. My PC at work which is Ubuntu 7.10 has
suffered various installations and some head scratching re-installations
of software that I use to integrate with my working environment. My
company runs a Microsoft Exchange server, indeed they are primarily  a
Microsoft site. I also however interact with Netware servers this
includes Netware 3, 4, 5, and 6, I find Ubuntu a  great tool to
integrate with these environments and very forgiving.

I would like to get involved in the documentation project but am unsure
where to start, and hence would like to volunteer for the mentoring
project. I initiated and developed a wiki for my company to hold support
based information and have been involved in some other projects that
although not documentation based, are project management based. I hope
that I may be able donate my existing skills and any new skills learned
in the aid of this project.

Regards

Barry