Expanding the documentation

Phil Bull philbull at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 15:11:48 UTC 2008

Hi Connor,

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 11:03 -0700, Connor Imes wrote:
[...]
> All of these should somehow go hand in hand with a CategorySomething
> (perhaps included in the banner itself) so it is easy for us to keep
> track of what pages are marked with banners by looking at the
> CategorySomething page.

There shouldn't be any need for this. If we create a wiki page which
uses the search macro to list all of the pages with the string used to
include a specific banner, we get this for free. In fact, this is the
way that the Moin category system works - CategoryCategory pages are
just normal pages with a search macro set to search for
"CategoryWhatever".

> Re: Official Documentation sidebar: I don't think this is necessary
> unless you are looking to mark certain pages as approved by the Council
> or some such thing.  May need to tone it down a bit, as well, it's a
> little invasive.

The sidebar was a remnant from a previous round of ideas for improving
the wiki, and wasn't related to the current discussion. I should have
probably mentioned that in my email.

Nevertheless, I think there is a need to mark-up documentation which has
been recognised as being of good quality. Maybe something a little less
intrusive than a banner across the top of the page, like a star (as per
Wikipedia's "featured articles")?

Thanks,

Phil

--