Expanding the documentation

Nick Ellery ellery.nick at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 17:40:57 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I've looked through the current documentation, and have come up with several
ideas to expanding it:

-- Reporting Problems.  A section like this would assist in bug triaging and
fixing, as links to debugging specific packages could be provided.  Pages
like Reporting Bugs [1] could be imported so people are able to find them
with ease.

-- Installing New Themes.  Many users are stumped when it comes to
installing community provided themes from sites such as gnome-look.org.  A
detailed description on how this works could help many.

-- Installation Guide [2].  The installation guide exists, but should be
moved from the bottom of the page, where it is incorrectly labeled, to the
Desktop Documentation category.  Currently, you can find this at the bottom
of help.ubuntu.com, where it labels it as 'Installing Ubuntu via the
alternate CD'.

-- Multimedia.  A section providing information on pre-installed graphical
applications such as GIMP, especially links to the official documentation
would be good.  This could be expanded from musicvideophotos, and also
include brief information on applications such as Sound Recorder, video
editors, audio editors, and desktop recorders.

So what are your thoughts on these?  Anything that I have missed, or should
be added?

Thanks,
Nick

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs