add "that/which" to Style Guide > Commonly ConfusedWords

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Thu Jan 3 23:08:52 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Jan 3, 2008 7:55 PM, Kyle Nitzsche <kyle.nitzsche at canonical.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to propose adding the following to the Documentation Style
> Guide, Commonly Confused Words section.
> ( http://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/StyleGuide/CommonlyConfusedWords
>   )
>
> "
> that, which
>
> These words often start phrases that modify a preceding noun, but the
> wrong one is sometimes used. For example, the following is incorrect:
> The car which crashed is red. Use that to start a phrase that
> restricts the modified noun to a particular instance or set, and do
> not enclose the phrase in commas. Use which to add additional
> information about the noun, and enclose the phrase in commas.
>
> Examples: The car that crashed is red. The car, which I own, is red.
> "
>
> Is there a procedure for suggesting/making changes to the Style Guide?

I guess this is it!

I have to say, I have always found the distinction between "that" and
"which" unnecessary and I don't follow it myself when writing.

I'd much prefer that we simplify the style guide if possible, and
adding rules which are probably a bit nit picky will complicate it
without a good reason: there are already a wealth of rules in there
and quite frankly I don't think that we can expect all of our
contributors to religiously adhere to each of them.

If there is an outcry in support of this rule or there are some
prominent authorities which support it then I guess we could consider
this, but my initial reaction is against adding it.

What do others think?

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org