Mentoring Program

Dougie Richardson ddrichardson at btinternet.com
Fri Aug 15 21:03:34 UTC 2008

Hi,

> This exists already -
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/Contribute

I am aware of that page and although it covers the basics it lacks examples
and confirmatory questions which would increase student confidence. I'm
suggesting something that would:
	a. Improve confidence
	b. Give us a common start standard
	c. Give students and accurate sight of what's involved

A common understanding, especially of bug squashing, would allow new members
to jump straight in and minimise our input to more specific situation
questions.

> I feel quite strongly that we should focus on ensuring that our
> existing pages are clear for new students rather than creating more
> pages. The aim should be for students to be able to read the minimum
> of material which is phrased as clearly as possible.

With respect, the feedback is that the status quo is not sufficient. I
appreciate your feelings on creating new pages but they can be deleted after
all and what I'm suggesting is more wide ranging and consolidatory than what
we currently have.

I see no harm in trying something new and deleting it if it fails.

> Feedback from potential students who are having problems with
> navigating and understanding our pages would be helpful there, but
> otherwise we should try and read the pages and put ourselves in the
> position of someone coming to them anew.

That is something that could certainly be incorporated. As it happens, I
haven't just pulled this out of thin air, I have read the pages and looked
at them as a student (it wasn't that long ago!).

Cheers,

Matthew