The Windows Wireless Drivers sections of the official ubuntu documentation

Dougie Richardson ddrichardson at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 27 10:00:30 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 09:41 -0500, Novak, Edmund J wrote:
> Right now the instructions are clear on there own.  That is, each step makes sense on its own.
> However I believe there are a couple steps that should be added to increase end-user use-ability.
> 1st Somewhere it should mention that you have to increase the repositories.
> By default they do not include ndisgtk which is the second step of the instructions.

ndisgtk is in the default repositories for 8.04.

> The second change that should be made is that the instructions say to locate the *.inf file for your windows driver.
> The documentation should explain that you need to move that file to some dir in the linux filesystem.
> If you leave that file in the windows partition/drive/filesystem your wireless won't work until you mount that partition/drive/filesystem.

I'm not sure about this as I've never had a problem with it being loaded
from an USB disk that is not permanently mounted. I will contact the
developer for clarification.

>  Also (and this is the biggest and most mysterious problem) you need to find the .sys file of the same name as the .inf file and place it in
> the same dir.  This is extremely important.  If you don't relocate both files to the same place you will get an "invalid driver" error message,
> which is very confusing to the user who followed all the instructions.  The last change that needs to be made is that when you are finished with
> the ndisgtk utility you need to open the restricted drivers manager and enable the restricted driver you just created.
> This step is overlooked in the official documentation yet it is absolutely necessary to get wireless internet to work.

Again, as above really - I've never encountered this problem. I'll
clarify (it could be an issue with Windows partitions perhaps).

> I hope that my input is helpful.  I would have edited the documentation myself to take more work off of your shoulders but I don't think
> that I am able to because I couldn't figure out any way to.  In any case I emailed you all the changes I would have made.
> Thank you for terrific documentation (except maybe for this article) and thank you for the incredible operating system!
> I just helped 2 of my good friends install it on their laptops!

Thanks - can you give us more information as to which version you are
running?