serverguide/C/windows-networking.xml needs more

Adam Sommer asommer70 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 05:05:26 UTC 2008

Hello,

> I'd like to add the following sections describing various functions
> Samba can serve:
> Windows Workgroup file server
> Windows Domain member server
> Windows Domain Controller
> Windows Print Server (using CUPS)
>
> I'd also like to see some more describing Samba user/group management.

I'm in definite agreement with your suggestions, I think improving the
Windows Networking section is an awesome idea!  I added some suggestions to
the Server Team Idea Pool [1] a while back.  They're a little more narrow
than your suggestions, but basically the same.

A work flow that we've used in the past, to update the Server Guide, is to
find related articles in the Community Wiki [2], update them, then convert
the content into DocBook for the official guide.  During the Hardy cycle
this was done by hand, but since the content is already in the wiki, for the
most part, it wasn't that time consuming.  But with the new version of
MoinMoin the conversion can probably be done in a more automated way (I've
been meaning to do more experimentation with that).

Anyway, there is a Samba page in the community page that links most of the
Samba guides in the wiki [3].  If you want to help with updating those pages
that would be great, but if you have other ideas or motivation that's cool
to.

Basically whatever you're willing to work on is greatly appreciated :-).

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/IdeaPool
[2] https://help.ubuntu.com/community
[3] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Samba

--