Question about creating patches.

Adam Sommer asommer70 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 21:19:30 UTC 2008

Hello,

> I'm trying to figure out how to create patches through the Documentation
> Team Repository [1].  First off, step one tells you to change directories to
> the root of my working copy.  Does this mean to the ubuntu-intrepid folder,
> or to the specific folder (for example, ubuntu-intrepid/office/C/)?

I usually do it from the ubuntu-intrepid folder, but it can be done from
either.  I usually edit the file, then execute bzr diff > filename.diff,
from the ubuntu-intrepid folder.  This will create a diff of the whole
tree.  For example, if you've edited a file in office/C/ and one in
serverguide/C/ the diff will include all changes.  Which may or may not be
your desired result :-).

>   Next, step four says 'which contains the differences between the working
> copy and repository revisions of the modified files.'  Are you supposed to
> edit the original, and then do this?

Correct, bzr knows when you edit a file and the command creates a diff file
(or bundle in this example) of the new changes and what the original was.  I
hope that helps to clarify some, but if you still have questions don't
hesitate to ask.  You can also find "live" help in the #ubuntu-doc IRC
channel on Freenode.

--
Party On,
Adam