Mentoring program

Phil Bull philbull at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 23:04:40 UTC 2008

Hi Cathy,

On Thu, 2008-04-10 at 09:44 -0400, Catherine Barabas wrote:
> My name is Cathy Barabas and I would very much like to join the
> documentation mentoring program.  I've been using Ubuntu for about
> three years now and really want to give back to the community.  A
> close associate suggested I apply to help with documentation since my
> programming skills are very limited.  I'm not quite sure which part of
> the documentation I could help with, but I do have excellent editing
> skills.  Additionally, Hungarian is my second language and I speak,
> read and write it with relative ease, so I could help with
> translations as well.
>
> A little about me:  I live in the US.  I started out my college career
> (20 years ago) as a programmer.  Not quite sure why I decided it
> wasn't for me because now I am trying to develop some programming
> skills.  I was an exclusive Windows and PC user for 15 years until
> some new friends introduced me to open source in general and Linux in
> particular.  I went through three other Linux flavors until I settled
> on Ubuntu.  It's the most "user friendly" flavor of Linux currently
> available.  I've actually been able to "convert" some coworkers to
> Ubuntu. :-)  Back to the "was an exclusive Windows and PC user" thing.
> I'm also a new Mac convert.  I hadn't touched an Apple machine since
> high school.  I wasn't into media, so why use Apple/Mac, right?  Now
> that Mac can do everything a PC can do, only better (including running
> Windows), I figured what the heck.  I love my Mac.  But I do still
> have a PC at home that I built from scratch as a gaming machine.  It's
> not the best or the fastest, but it runs WoW fairly well.  :-)

Welcome! You mentioned editing skills; perhaps you'd be interested in
working on technical reviewing the documentation? You can find an
overview on the wiki [1] if you'd like to have a go at that. You can
find some other ideas on how too contribute on the wiki too [2].

The Doc Team doesn't cover translation itself, but you might like to
check out the Hungarian translators team [3].

Please let us know if you'd like any help getting started.

Thanks,

Phil

[1] - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/TechReview
[2] - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam