Reinitialize the branches?

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 1 19:04:55 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>  On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 10:32 PM, Jim Campbell <jwcampbell at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > We should also consider using the new default pack format that is available
>  > in bzr.
>
>  Because we used bzr-svn to create the repositories (and we use the
>  dirstate-with-subtree format), I'm not sure that it's possible to
>  convert the existing branches... Tell me if I'm wrong though.

I've been investigating over the past few days with Robert Collins the
various options in relation to our branch. After running some tests he
has come to the conclusion that we have a large amount of sludge in
our history, because of the way we've been versioning some files. As a
result he has recommended:

1. That we wipe the slate clean and start intrepid with fresh revisions.
2. That we convert our existing branches to the rich-root-pack format.

I'll be doing 1 over the next few days, and 2 relatively soon.

The consequence of (2) is that you will need to use bzr 1.0 or higher
in order to use the branches - instructions for upgrading are here -
http://bazaar-vcs.org/DistroDownloads. Also, in order to get the
benefit of the rich-root-pack format, it's highly advisable either to
upgrade your own local branches, or re-get the branches when the
upgrade has been done on Launchpad.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org