Draft: Gutsy beta release announcement

Dougie Richardson ddrichardson at btinternet.com
Sun Sep 30 17:15:25 UTC 2007

Hi Matt

> I'm surprised both that you feel boot time is one of the biggest
> complaints
> among users, and that you feel this has changed substantially in 7.10.
> Can
> you expand on those premises?

Biggest complaint: it's often stated in comparison articles, I believe it
was in the recent Mossberg article, although I could be wrong. It comes up
quite frequently in the forums and there are numerous howtos concerning
improving boot times on 7.04. Granted this may be more of a laptop issue,

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/tag/feisty-slow-fix/
http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com/2007/04/yesterdays-update-slow-boot.html
http://ubuntu-utah.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=531989

Changed substantially: 7.10 is at least twice as fast as 7.04 is to install
and brings up GDM on boot around a minute faster than Fiesty, on my laptop
and desktop.

Dougie Richardson
dougie at lynxworks.eu
http://blog.lynxworks.eu/