Draft: Gutsy beta release announcement

Ross Peoples ubuntu.ross.peoples at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 15:07:41 UTC 2007

Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 29, 2007 at 11:28:22PM +0100, Dougie Richardson wrote:
>> No problems really, though having installed the beta and seen the feedback,
>> I'm surprised there is no mention of the improvements in boot time - one of
>> the biggest complaints always levelled at the distribution. I haven't seen
>> much on this anywhere and wondered if it's a product of the new kernel or
>> that usplash appears not to be working.
>
> I'm surprised both that you feel boot time is one of the biggest complaints
> among users, and that you feel this has changed substantially in 7.10.  Can
> you expand on those premises?

Well, I know that when there is a Windiows/Linux war going on, the one
thing Windows supporters throw in there as a last breath is load times.
I wouldn't however call it a big complaint among users themselves,
simply because most users leave their computers running all the time,
myself included. Those that don't, mostly laptop users, say that it is
worth the wait, but wouldn't mind a speed increase.

As for the boot times, I have seen a definite speed increase over the
course of Gusty testing. I can't give any numbers, but I would say that,
at least for me, load times were cut at least 15%. I don't know if it's
because of boot changes or driver changes, but it does boot faster.

My two cents.