Community help wikis per release

Mathias Gug mathiaz at ubuntu.com
Thu Oct 18 15:27:17 UTC 2007

Hi Adam,

On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 10:28:07AM -0400, Adam Sommer wrote:
> I think it's a really great idea to in some way distinguish which release a
> page applies to.

That exactly the problem I'm trying to address.

> The question I have about creating a separate wiki
> instance for each release is what happens to new content created for say
> Gutsy, but it could also apply to Dapper (or another LTS) release?  Would
> the page then have to be copied from the newer release wiki into the older?
> Would the page author need to do the copying?

I don't think that the author has to do the copying. Someone could a
write a page to setup Ubuntu as a Active Directory member for gutsy.
May be someone else will test with dapper and update the page for dapper.

> Would it make sense to create Categories for each release?  Then you could
> mark a page as Gutsy, Dapper, Feisty then when it's updated again, or a
> release is past support that Category could be removed.  This may also help
> in searching.

It seems that this would make more sense. May be it should be specified
in the wiki guidelines that a tag identifying which release the wiki page has
been written/tested for should be added to the page.

--
Mathias