Documentation updates in-cycle?

Duncan Lithgow dlithgow at gmail.com
Mon May 7 05:39:20 UTC 2007

First I should check my facts: is it correct that corrections to
released documentation do not get released and pushed/ made available to
users?

If that's the case I don't understand why.

I understand that the Debian policy (which ubuntu has adopted) is that
only security updates get pushed down to users. And I think that's fine
- I assume that's to avoid introducing new bugs and all the hassle that
comes with that.

But I think documentation is a totally different thing, and by this I
mean strictly the text and images and not the underlying code (excluding
any markup).

Surely it is as good as impossible to introduce bugs by simply making
changes to documentation as defined above. (Further documentation
mistakes perhaps, but not real bugs)

I understand that there are other issues about how corrected docs would
be distributed - but let's leave those issues for now and restrict
ourselves to the question:

"Are there enough advantages to correcting docs that we should consider
looking at a way to do it?"

Duncan