Stickies in Forum

TheVeech theveech at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 15:35:27 UTC 2007

If you want to run any text by me for prose editing, I'll volunteer to
help you with this.  A lot of people have a great talent for ideas, but
most of these same people aren't that good at knocking out text.  Some
of them know it, too, so they don't contribute their ideas and talents
just because of this one simple shortcoming.

If you're able to tell them not to worry about this aspect of their
contribution and to just knock out something - even just an outline with
notes - people like me can look at it, consult the original author and
hack the text into some sort of shape.  Just a thought - let me know
what you think.

If it's for beginners, what's the tone to be like?  The forums tend to
be pretty informal and friendly, but much of the documentation (and
wiki) tends to be quite formal and dry.  Might a middle-ground be worth
aiming for here?

A personal observation: I find much of the existing documentation
suffers from not being broken up with illustrations.  This might not be
the best approach for documentation for beginners.  Might it be an idea
to hunt down people who have a talent and enthusiasm for
design/graphics?

Currently I'm working on getting as many projects listed in a more
accessible way as I can.  Initially, I'm doing it through a list that's
in alphabetical order (see: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Software),
but when all's done, it'll be easy to link to a project's page in
forums, emails, etc., list projects according to category, and so on,
while keeping it within the Ubuntu 'universe'.  Once a comprehensive
enough list is up, it should be pretty helpful across the board.

The intention is partly to serve beginners, too.  So if you know anyone
who's passionate about a particular piece of software and wants to
contribute something, I'd appreciate it if you'd throw them my way.

email: theveech at gmail.com