Documentation forum ?

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Sun Mar 11 11:07:52 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 11:43 -0500, geert.poels at skynet.be wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What better way to know how users regard the documentation, than giving
> them a platform for feedback.
> I know that the docs are open for everybody to change.
> But rather few people like/can/want to write documentation (or have the
> time to do so).
> Their feedback should nevertheless be noted.
> Therefore I'd like to suggest to open a documentation category on the
> forums.
> http://www.ubuntuforums.org/

There are definitely lots of ways that we can encourage people to give
feedback on the documentation. One is, as Duncan said, to include
relatively prominent links that fit in with our workflow (for example
allowing users to discuss wiki page directly on the wiki, or report
bugs). I've already included some ideas about this in the "Design"
section of this spec: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HelpWikiQualityAssurance
at point 3. Please feel free to comment on that spec as described at the
bottom of the page. At the moment the spec is quite stagnant because it
needs someone who is familiar with our wiki software code to get
involved and give it a push. Hopefully during the next release we can
focus on that.

A documentation forum would also be a good idea in my opinion because
the forum community to some extent is not as involved in the
documentation team efforts as I would like it to be.

In order to avoid the need for documentation team members to follow both
the mailing list and the forum, I think it would be nice to simply
mirror the mailing list as a forum. This way the forum community can
read what is going on in the documentation world. Maybe later if this is
successful, we can also enable posting to the mailing list directly
through the forum interface. I will get in touch with the admins about
this.

Matt
--
http://www.mdke.org