Plans for Xubuntu documentation

Jim Campbell jwcampbell at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 04:02:06 UTC 2007

Hello All,

As I may have mentioned before, Freddy Martinez and I are giving the Xubuntu
documentation an overhaul for the Gutsy release.  At the last Xubuntu
developer meeting we discussed our progress, and as it stands now, we've
each made local copies of the Ubuntu Feisty documentation, and have been
modifying the Ubuntu documentation so that it is accurate for Xubuntu.

We are taking this approach because Ubuntu and Xubuntu have so much in
common, and because we are trying to move to topic-based help, which Ubuntu
has already implemented.  Working from local copies of the docs has been a
serviceable way to work so far because we've mostly been familiarizing
ourselves with docbook, and have not written much new documentation.

However, to help us get started in a more proper direction, and to allow us
to submit patches for review, we need to be working off of a working copy in
the repositories.  Because we've been working off of the Ubuntu docs, we
thought it would be a good idea to have someone copy over the Ubuntu-Feisty
documentation into the Xubuntu documentation folder in the repository as an
interim step until the docs become more fleshed out and take on a structure
that is unique to Xubuntu.  To stay away from file and folder name
conflicts, perhaps putting a copy of the Ubuntu docs into the following
path: ~/ubuntu-doc/xubuntu/gutsy. . . would work.

If you all think this is a good idea, could someone please go ahead and move
a copy of Ubuntu docs over to that location?  Or should I just submit a
super-huge patch which would accomplish the same task?  :)  If someone has a
better suggestion, please let us know what you think.  We did discuss other
alternatives, but this seemed like a reasonable way to start things off so
that we can begin submitting patches.

Thanks for your help,

Jim
jwcampbell at gmail.com