Help with integrating Gnome docs into Ubuntu

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Mon Jul 30 22:40:28 UTC 2007

Hi,

* Matthew East:
> Hi all,
>
> * Shaun McCance:
>>> There is a third way: Use distributed version control.
>>>
>>> The GDP could have its own branch, Ubuntu could have its own branch,
>>> and any other distributor that used a customized Gnome could have its
>>> own branch. Ubuntu could merge any useful changes from the GDP, while
>>> ignoring those that weren't relevant to Ubuntu. The GDP could merge any
>>> useful changes from Ubuntu, while ignoring those that apply to
>>> Ubuntu-specific customizations. And if two or more distributors made
>>> the same customizations, they could merge corresponding documentation
>>> changes from each other.
>
> This is an interesting idea. I'd very much like to find out how easy it
> is to merge/reject different changes from a branch while maintaining a
> patch.

> Ok, let's give this a go. I've arranged an import from svn to bzr
> through Launchpad's semi-automatic feature:
>
> https://code.launchpad.net/~vcs-imports/gnome-user-docs/trunk
>
> The next step would be to try to create an Ubuntu-customised branch, and
> to try and merge any updates coming into upstream which don't conflict
> with such changes on a regular basis. I don't know much about how bzr
> works so hopefully mpt will help out with that.

Right, I've created a branch which can potentially be used for Ubuntu
customisations.

It can be found here:

https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-doc/gnome-user-docs/ubuntu-changes

If anyone wants to roll with the idea and play around, members of the
"ubuntu-doc" team can checkout and commit, and of course, anyone else
can create another branch or a patch.

As yet I don't have any idea:

1. How to go about packaging gnome-user-docs in Ubuntu from the Ubuntu
branch - I'm hoping Daniel will help with this when he is back from holiday.
2. How easy/difficult it will be to merge Gnome upstream changes into
the Ubuntu branch.

So please bear with me - I'm totally new to bzr...

Matt
--
http://www.mdke.org