Bug 128495

Dougie Richardson ddrichardson at btinternet.com
Sat Jul 28 19:07:49 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-07-28 at 18:51 +0100, Phil Bull wrote:
> Hi Dougie,
>
> On Sat, 2007-07-28 at 18:40 +0100, Dougie Richardson wrote:
> > Hi Phil,
> >
> > Wasn't sure if I replied to the right address, so I'm resending.
> >
> > > Hi Dougie,
> > >
> > > Do you know if Matthew committed your patch earlier?
> >
> > Yes, Matthew emailed my earlier to say he had.
>
> Thanks, I'm subscribed to the bug and saw your comment earlier. Do you
> have any further plans for the switching guide?

I have a few thoughts but thought I'd see what people thought first.

The Applications in Ubuntu section, under Sound & Vision part I was
thinking of updating the Totem entry with more information on the new
automatic plugin fetching system.

I also thought about adding a new section to Why switch to Ubuntu
explaining alternatives to popular Windows programs (Office->OpenOffice,
Media Player->Totem, etc) that are included in Ubuntu. I wonder too if
this might involve altering the current applications section which is
really just a list of what apps are installed and what they do.

I wonder if it might be an idea to include a quick introduction to the
terminal, if the forums are anything to go by - Windows users seem to
have completely forgotten about typing.

The Using and Installing applications entry may benefit from an
introduction to Synaptic as well. This would be very easy to reference
against Windows Add/Remove software option. Again synaptic seems to have
escaped many new users notice - because there a lot of questions
reference how to obtain packages that are known to be in the repository.

Lastly the Glossary section could do with a few amendments. The entries
all seem to assume that users are using the "Classic" view rather than
the default. I also wonder if the name "Glossary of terms" should be
changed to something like "Common Windows terms and their Ubuntu
equivalents", I didn't really look at the section at first because I
assumed it was just a list of Windows terms.

Dougie Richardson