Docs for other operating systems WAS: Re: Mentoring Program

James Heaver james at heaver.org
Thu Jul 26 13:51:27 UTC 2007

On 26/07/07, Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> >> As a secondary task I also maintain and support a large Windows 2003
> >> installation and would be particularly interested in any documentation
> >> easing the transition from Windows to Ubuntu.
> >
> > It's your lucky day! We have a 'Switching from Windows' guide which
> > could probably do with quite a large overhaul, if you're interested? You
> > can find a copy of the current document on the Doc Team website [1].
>
> I'd be happy to mentor Dougie on the switching from windows guide. Aside
> from getting some work done on the content, I'd also be interested in the
> question of how much of the guide should be used in the regular Ubuntu
> help system, and what other uses can be made of the whole guide for things
> like marketing Ubuntu to Windows users, people trying Ubuntu on the live
> cd, and so on.

I don't know what the official docs are like on stuff like this - but
third party guides and how-two seem to be very lacking in how to run
both Windows and Ubuntu in the same environment.

For instance, if you're running a network there are guides to setting
up samba shares, but no guides on how to map these samba shares onto
another windows / mac machine etc.

Although not directly related to ubuntu I think that if things like
this were included in the ubuntu docs it could help people switch from
windows.

Another example would be how to open the odf files you created on
ubuntu on your windows machine and so on.

--
Woops - my hamster walked across the keyboard
09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0