License of the Ubuntu Book?

adam hyde adam at xs4all.nl
Mon Jul 2 07:33:00 UTC 2007

hi,

thanks for the link Jeremy to the chm.

Can someone tell me how to understand the apparent license contradiction
in the books copyright notice. The section "Copyright" states:
===============
Copyright © 2007 Canonical, Ltd.
This book is published under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike
2.0 open publication license,
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/.
All rights reserved. Printed in the United States of America. This
publication is protected by copyright, and permission must be obtained
from the publisher prior to any prohibited reproduction, storage in a
retrieval system, or transmission in any form or by any means,
electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or likewise unless
permitted under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike license
2.0.
================

CC licenses, as I understand them, are _some_ rights reserved. The book
states its the Attribution Share-alike license ("by-sa"), which is a
'some rights reserved' wrapper around copyright (discarding the
non-premissive 'all rights reserved' which is the default for
copyright).

Why then does the copyright statement also state the material is 'all
rights reserved'?

adam

--
adam hyde