xubuntu documentation

Luzius Thoeny lucius.antonius at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 14:33:25 UTC 2007

<moving this conversation to the ubuntu-doc mailing list>

fijam7 wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 13:24:02 +0100
> Luzius Thoeny <lucius.antonius at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I surely don't mind if Xubuntu wants to follow Ubuntu with respect to
>> the "Topic Based Help" approach. Since I personally don't have the
>> time to do this for feisty, I thought we'd just go with small
>> updates, and keep the structure of the guide as it is now. However,
>> if you or anyone else wants to go ahead and change the basic
>> structure like Ubuntu, you are more than welcome to do so!
>>
> I discussed this with Cody yesterday and we agreed that he would
> prepare a new structure of documentation. Since according to the
> HelpfulHelp and TopicBasedHelp guide-like style of documentaion should
> be abandoned in favour of precise and conceise solutions to certain
> problems we decided that the best move would be to start from scratch
> and adopt documentation structure similar to Ubuntu/Kubuntu Feisty
> documentation as in the svn repository. Of course, we are going
> to include relevant parts from desktopguide updating information where
> necessary.
>
>> A few people from ubuntu-doc have done proof-reading, and Cody has
>> provided one patch so far. besides that, it's just me... Cody and I
>> both have commit rights for the doc team's SVN repo.
>>
> What is more, since we may not be able to get everything done till
> April under current circumstances we obviously need to get more people
> involved. It was suggested that it should be posted on the forums or on
> the mailing list that we need volunteers.
>
>> IRC is not particularly good for me, since I can never quite tell in
>> advance when I'll be around. I would prefer to discuss this on either
>> ubuntu-doc ML or xubuntu-devel ML. does that sound OK?
>>
> That's fine, I'll enroll to the mailing list.
>
> I hope that so far you agree with our arrangements.
>
> Regards,
> Jan M

yep, good to see that something is happening. just keep in mind that the
documentation needs to be finished *way* before release time in april.
In fact, looking at the release schedule for feisty
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FeistyReleaseSchedule), and knowing that
"documentation string freeze" will be about a month before "string
freeze", I'd say "documentation string freeze" will be  somwhere around
the middle of february. so please only start the restructuring if you
are *sure* that you can finish it by mid-february. otherwise, i'd say we
keep to the initial idea of updating "xubuntu desktop guide"  for
feisty, and do the  "topic based help" stuff later (that way, we can
also sit back and watch how things turn out for ubuntu, and learn from
their transition).

cheers,
luzi