Screencast Slides for Start and End

Ubuntu Clips ubuntuclips at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 05:15:13 UTC 2007

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 22:30:21 +0000, Matthew East wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 19:38 +0000, Alan Pope wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 22:13 -0800, Ubuntu Clips wrote:
> > > I think it would be nice to have a start and end slide that includes
> > > the
> > > new ubuntu screencast logo
> >
> > So far we have had one excellent logo submission. Should we ask for
> > more, or just use the one from the top of the site (which I made in
> > about 10 seconds in the GIMP)?
>
> We should use the current site logo - it's important to preserve the
> Ubuntu logo and keep the look consistent with the documentation, I
> think.

I like the ubuntube logo, but I agree in terms of consistency. If the site
will in
fact be screencasts.ubuntu.com, the logo should reflect this and also be
consistent with the rest of the documentation pages.

> > as well as updates for the copyright and
> > > creative commons license. I'd be happy to make the changes, but
> > > a couple of questions/thoughts:
> > >
> > If someone (with more talent in that department than me [ which ==
> > pretty much everyone]) wants to take a stab at modifying it, that would
> > be great.
>
> This would be great - Michael would you be interested in

Sure, I'll take a stab at it and post my first take to the list for input
and
feedback.

> > - Should we assign a default copyright on the slides? To whom?
>
> Are you referring just to the start and end slide or the whole
> screencast? What we currently do with the documentation team is to
> assign copyright to Canonical and the Members of the Documentation Team.
> However (unlike the documentation team) at the moment the screencasts
> team is open to all to join, so it might make it quite difficult
> administering copyright in such a group.
>
> Here are some brainstorming possibilities:
>
>  * assigning copyright in screencasts and any slides to the person who
> makes them (could be quite messy in terms of people leaving the
> project);
>  * assigning copyright in everything to Canonical (means that
> Canonical's permission would be required for any licensing changes, and
> that Canonical would control the license used); or
>  * assigning copyright to "the members of the screencast team at a given
> time" (any license related matters would be decided by consensus of the
> group, for example in a meeting - disadvantage is that the team is
> completely open and is likely to become very large, so it will be
> difficult to administer this sort of solution)
>  * assigning copyright to "the Owner of the screencast team at a given
> time" (currently Alan) or "the administrators of the screencast team at
> a given time" (we hope to add more when the team has some regularly
> contributors).
>
> I think probably the very last solution is the best (administrators).
> What do others think?

Yes, I meant to the start and end slide, but with the implication that this
would apply to the entire video. Both of the last two (team and
administrators)
seem fine to me, but I do like the idea of the former (team), i.e.
(c) Ubuntu Screencasting Team since it's more inclusive than the latter.
I can see how making licensing changes down the road may be more
difficult though - has this been an issue in other projects? I don't have
much experience with licensing myself and I guess I'm wondering how
often we would have to revisit the issue of licensing once we've decided
on one of the creative commons licenses. On the surface it seems
more stable than GPL-related issues, but again I have little experience
with this in practice.

> However.. I suspect that http://doc.ubuntu.com/screencasts won't be our
> > final home. Personally I'd like to see screencasts.ubuntu.com used (or
> > similar). If that's the case then I don't really want to "waste" time
> > recutting those videos, re-uploading to our site, and re-uploading to
> > google video if I am going to have to do it again shortly afterwards.
> >
> > Make sense?

Yep - I've filed a request on this and will report as soon as I hear.

Ok. I'll use screencasts.ubuntu.com in the draft slides then. I should have
been more clear in my previous post: for the Contribute and Request a
screencast, I meant including links to the Contribute and Request wiki
pages, perhaps on the end slide in particular. Sorry for the confusion. If
it's safe to assume that these won't change location/url, it seems to me
like a good addition to the ending slide for users to potentially follow-up
on after watching a video.

Cheers,
Michael

--