new-since-6.10.xml

Will Simpson linux.photo.geek at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 14:02:36 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-02-17 at 00:11 +1300, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:

> 		<title>New Features Since 6.10</title>

I think the appropriate place for marketing new features in themselves
is on the Web site. In the help, I think the "What's new since Ubuntu
6.10" page should instead concentrate on advising those people who have
just upgraded from 6.10 *what they need to do differently* when using
7.04.

This includes:
*   any changes in the menu layout (e.g. "most of the Preferences and
     Administration panels are now found in the Control Center window,
     rather than in the menus")
*   any non-trivial changes to the default application set
*   any major changes to individual default applications, if those
     changes require relearning (e.g. major UI changes)
*   anything substantial that people used to need to do but don't need
     to do any more.

New features might be worth mentioning, but only if they are likely to
cause people who were using Ubuntu 6.10 to start using a particular
program in 7.04 when they weren't using it in 6.10.

 I realize quite a few of these questions are annoying ones that may
require poring through changelogs, and/or annoying developers on IRC or
by e-mail or phone. But I really think that the usefulness of this page
will be dependent on how well it has been translated into explanations
of changes that upgraders really need to know about.

You may well find that once changes that don't fit this criterion have
been removed, the remainder can be a single <itemizedlist> instead of
lots of <sect1>s.

Thanks again

WOW. Tons of thoughtful suggestions. But...

I disagree with the premise that this page "should instead concentrate on
advising those people who have just upgraded from 6.10 *what they need to do
differently* when using 7.04." I feel this page would be best suited to
introduce (some would called market) relevant changes between Edgy and
Feisty.  It is correct that this is just a start and I see many if not all
items linked deeper in the help to fuller explanations as to "*what they
need to do differently*" which is not the function of this page. I don't
want to be the arbiter of what the user thinks are the relevant changes.
This list comes straight from ubuntu.com.

If this page was to include "*what they need to do differently*" is would be
huge and duplicate many other relevant sections of the help system. I'll
address each suggestion (some great, some confused in my opinion) in a
separate email once we get past what the premise of this page is. I'm
confused because Matthew first disagrees with the premise of the page then
goes on to suggest edits for each section. If I have the premise completely
wrong then throw the whole thing out and start over.
What do others think?

Will

  ---
http://willsimpson.org