PDF quality of Ubuntu Desktop Guide

Rich Johnson nixternal at ubuntu.com
Wed Feb 7 00:00:08 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 06 February 2007, Duncan Lithgow wrote:
| On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 09:36 +0100, Matthew East wrote:
| > In terms of building the actual PDFs, it's probably best to get our
| > dapper or edgy branches (https://docteam.ubuntu.com/repos/branches) and
| > see ubuntu/Makefile for some examples.
| >
| > Shout if you need anything further!
|
| I got an email from Rich Johnson and it sounds like he's tried
| everything he could get his hands on without success - I doubt I can
| better his attempts to fix this problem - so I won't try. Sorry for the
| bother.
|
| Duncan

I am sorry for not sending that to the list, my reply key didn't work
correctly I guess.

Yes, while Matt was on vacation during the end of the Edgy release, Jordan and
myself tried to assist the Russian team in fixing the PDF file as all it
would do was print squares. I became familiar with FOP during that time, and
seeing as I had the same issues, I decided to try others. A couple of the
companies were pretty cool and allowed me to attempt it, and then I sent them
the docbook files to see if they could as well and we weren't successfull.

I have seen the new DocBook XML and it seems to fix this problem as I noticed
it didn't use the -> but the regular arrows. As it stands DocBook 5 is
currently in its first or second release candidate stage. Maybe it will be
released prior to Feisty. Let's hope.

--
Rich Johnson
nixternal at ubuntu.com