Additions to office.xml

Phil Bull philbull at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 09:01:48 UTC 2007

Hi Matthew,

On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 21:24 +1300, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
[...]
> This is solid work. However, both these topics are already covered in
> OpenOffice.org's own help, which is fairly readable (even if OO's help
> window is a leviathan). I think we shouldn't try to rewrite the
> OpenOffice.org help.

Thanks.

While I agree that too much duplication would be a problem, I think that
just including the most common/important problems in the Ubuntu
documentation would be worthwhile. For example, we have an 'Add
Applications' topic because it's an important problem, even though
Synaptic and g-a-i have their own documentation.

> > Does anyone have any comments on these, or suggestions on further
> > sections for the Office topic?
>
> I think the Office topics should be condensed into a single page with a
> title something like "Working with Microsoft Office documents". People
> wanting more information on using OpenOffice.org, AbiWord, or Gnumeric
> should use the help functions in those individual programs.

I think we should identify the most common problems/questions related to
'office' work that people have and document them. I'd guess that these
problems would mostly involve compatibility or finding features
equivalent to those in MS Office.

Thanks,

Phil

--