Internet/Networking categories in docs

Phil Bull philbull at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 12:31:44 UTC 2007

Hi guys,

In the Ubuntu docs at the moment, internet.xml contains instructions on
how to connect to the Internet, how to connect to a network and some
bits on Internet applications (web browser, email clients etc.) too. The
way that it is currently organised means that it can be tedious to find
certain important documents as they are buried several levels down.

One solution to this problem would be to split the category into two
separate 'Internet' and 'Network' categories. For many people,
connecting to the Internet is just a matter of connecting to a network,
so this layout probably wouldn't make sense for those people.

Another idea would be to rename the Internet category to 'Internet and
Networking' and to rearrange it in some way. I quite like the way that
Microsoft do it on their online support website [1]. Click on a main
category and you get a page listing several sub-categories, with the
most important topics in those categories listed just below them. I
don't know if this is possible with Yelp, but I think it would really
help people to navigate the docs and would make it easier to deal with
categories which contain a lot of topics.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

As a side issue, do we really need topics about applications, which say
nothing more than what the app does and how to launch it? See the topic
on 'Web browsing' in internet.xml for an example.

Thanks,

Phil

[1] - http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/default.mspx

--