Oops, re aptitude : was [Re: Edgy in the news]

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 23:00:29 UTC 2006

On 01/11/06, Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic at dantian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 21:59 +0100, Andreas Lloyd wrote:
>
> For the websites:
> Maybe there should be an official area by Canonical, one supervised area
> at help.ubuntu.com/community, and a free area at wiki.ubuntu.com. All
> three should have a distinguishable website design that makes the
> different levels obvious.

I think the *.ubuntu.com domain is part of the legitimacy problem.
ANYTHING under *.ubuntu.com will be treated as gospel by a sizeable
number of people (myself included -- I wasn't aware that that section
was NOT official Ubuntu documentation).

Although the mandate for Ubuntu is to be a free and accessible distro
(for the people, by the people, if I may paraphrase), there is a
danger in having every Joe, Dick and Harry with a bit (or a lot) of
Linux knowledge editing pages that end up being treated as the last
word on a subject.

My sense is that for something like upgrades it is in the community's
best interest if Canonical makes upgrade information CLEARLY available
where the downloads/orders are located on Ubuntu.com. Even something
as simple as... "Upgrading your system with apt-get, Automatix,
upgrade-manager, etc. may not work. Use of the installer CD is
recommended." would help avoid some of the disinformation that's
spread by people with fewer brain cells than keyboarding fingers.