tabs for the new help site

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Fri May 26 07:22:39 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 02:06 +1200, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
> On May 24, 2006, at 8:35 PM, Matthew East wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 14:09 +1200, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
> >> Many, if not most, help pages will be relevant for multiple Ubuntu
> >> versions. So I think having top-level tabs for the versions is
> >> inappropriate.
> >
> > You might have a point, but at the moment the help website is
> > organised like this: 5.10 docs, 6.06 docs, wiki docs. We can't change
> > that basic structure now because the 6.06 webpage has been localised,
> > and it will be a shame to waste that. So I think we have to work with
> > the structure that is there for now.
>
> I'm not disputing that there should be a section about things that are
> *only* to do with a particular release, or that its front page should
> be localized; they're both good things. I was talking about the
> top-level navigation, which leaves no obvious place for pages like "How
> do I upgrade from Ubuntu 5.04 to 6.06?", and (once Edgy is released)
> "Which Ubuntu release is right for me?".

Well, currently we don't have any of those pages. However, I agree that
distinguishing between community-driven wiki docs and 5.10/6.06 is not a
clear distinction to draw.

So how about this alternative - | Stable docs | Community docs |

("Stable docs" would then point to the current version, and contain
links to previous versions).

I don't particularly like the word "Stable", but it was the only word I
could think of to describe the difference. What do people think of this
idea?

Matt
mdke at ubuntu.com